Maricel Museum | Cultural Heritage. Goverment of Catalonia.
Maricel Museum Collecting by the sea
T
In the old district of Sant Joan de Sitges stands the architectural and artistic complex of Maricel, one of the most monumental examples of Noucentisme in Catalonia. It was built by Miquel Utrillo between 1910 and 1918, and had been commissioned by the American magnate Charles Deering, who established his residence here and used it to house his unique collection of Hispanic art.

After going through various uses, in 1970, art came back to the building. On the side facing the sea, the Maricel Museum was opened to display the art collection of Dr Jesús Pérez-Rosales: more than 3,000 Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque pieces, as well as pre-Columbian archaeology artefacts, oriental art, musical instruments, textiles and folk craft.

Today this collection is integrated into the Sitges Art Collection, along with other acquisitions, creating a complete and varied tour through the history of art, from the 10th century to the first half of the 20th century.

Particularly notable are the rooms dedicated to Romanticism (Marià Fortuny), to Noucentisme (Joaquim Sunyer, Pere Jou, Lola Anglada, Enric Casanovas, Ismael Smith, Pau Gargallo) and especially to Modernisme (Santiago Rusiñol, Ramon Casas, Josep Llimona), which has a close connection to Sitges. There is even a room displaying paintings that once decorated the Cau Ferrat Brewery.

One can’t leave the Museum without going through the Sert Room, with its large murals from 1915 dedicated to the First World War.

Plan your visit

What can I do?
The Maricel Museum in Sitges organises guided tours for groups by prior reservation. In addition to enjoying the works of art, let yourself be seduced by the viewing point, with vistas over the sea.
Services
AccessibilityEvent hire
Timetables
Prices
Contact
Museu de Maricel
Edifici Miramar
Davallada, 12 (3a planta)
08870 Sitges (Barcelona)
Tel. (+34) 938940364
Where to eat and stay?

More information

Heritage stories

A visit to Sitges, 1949

The exiled King Umberto II of Italy and his family visit the old town of Sitges and the Maricel Museum.