An imposing building next the River Ebro is a testament from the 14th century to the history of Tortosa. The Cathedral of Santa Maria, together with the Castle of La Suda
and the Royal Colleges
, forms the most notable architectural complex in the city.
Standing on the same spot as had previously been a Roman forum, a mosque and a Romanesque cathedral, is the current Cathedral of Santa Maria, whose construction began in 1347 following the classic Gothic style.
Nevertheless, it includes later elements such as the Baroque façade completed in 1757.
Most notable is the central nave
, with a major exhibition of carved gravestones, and the chapel of La Mare de Déu de la Cinta
, in the Baroque style.
At the same time, one cannot ignore the rich sculptural and pictorial heritage of the Cathedral of Tortosa, starting with the altarpiece of Mare de Déu de l’Estrella
(Virgin of the Star - 14th century) which presides over the main altar. Other Gothic altarpieces have occupied the walls of the Basilica such as the Virgin of the Angels
, by Pere Serra (currently in the MNAC), or that of the Transfiguration
, attributed to the workshop of Jaume Huguet.
The latter is one of the star exhibits of the Cathedral Museum
, which displays nearly 200 pieces of religious art
accumulated over nine centuries. Here you can see paintings, sculptures, tapestries, objects in precious metals and a valuable collection of codices.