The great specialist in agroindustrial construction in Catalonia, Cèsar Martinell
, made his "debut" in Rocafort de Queralt in 1918. The final result, full of innovations
and architectural daring
, was a great platform for his career.
The winery of Roquefort that we see today is the result of three projects
carried out between 1918 and 1947. During the first years, it consisted of a building with two parallel areas and a perpendicular third area which was used as an unloading bay and machine room. Later this was enlarged with two more areas, the modernisation of the machine room, and a new water tank to replace the original.
But without doubt, the most decisive
contribution was the use, for the first time, of the Gaudinian parabolic arch as the main support of the structure of the building
. The original idea was to have the traditional wooden roof truss
as a support for the gabled roof, but the economic circumstances of the time led the architect to change his idea: with the First World War, the price of wood had multiplied five times.
With regard to the "aesthetic" aspect of the winery, the tiling work used in the arches of the doors and windows is particularly outstanding as is the ceramic tiled frieze that runs along the cornice of the building. The main façade of the winery is perfectly symmetrical and highlights the huge window
made up of three elements, with rampant arches
and round arches
. The door consists of a round voussoired
arch which, in its time, was the support for the large window. This composition is repeated on the facade of the three areas.